WHAT IS WORM CASTINGS
Vermicomposting is the recycling of Organic Waste Products with the help of a special kind of Worms. These worms can eat half their weight a day and can turn organic waste into natural, hygienic and odorless castings which can be used to fertilize and recondition the soil. The Vermicompost never needs to be turned, never fills up and provides a constant supply of nutrient rich vermicast for your garden.
Vermiculture usually happens in Worm bins, which are designed to suit the needs of the Compost worms.
HOW TO DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU CAN HARVEST THE VERICOMPOST FROM THE WORM
When your mature castings are dark brown in colour has an earthy smell, has no lumps and has a find, soil-like texture.
Harvesting from your worm farm
Once the worm farm is full, On a sunny day, empty the contents of the worm
farm on a table or board
• Push all worm castings together into the shape of a cone and wait for 10
• Minutes, then scrap off the surface of the cone worm castings and worm
• compost till you reach the worms which are hiding from the sun
• Give the worms again 10 minutes do dig deeper into the soil to escape from
• the sun and then remove more castings till you reach the worms again.
• Repeat these steps till all the castings are separated from the worms.
• Now place app 10 cm of castings on top of the drain in your Worm Farm,
• place the worms on some food at the top and restart Your worm bin.
• Avoid very hot days and never leave your worms exposed to the sun for more than 1 minute. The worms will die very quickly!